Turmeric is one of the most commonly used spices in the world. According to Ayurveda, turmeric helps balance vata, pitta, and kapha. Commonly called “Haldi” in India, no curry is complete without turmeric.
It is a truly versatile ingredient used not only for cooking but also as an antiseptic, for skincare, a natural colouring agent for food and cosmetics, etc. So let’s cook with this immunity-boosting spice today.
- 1½ cups Rice
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- Fresh Ginger, finely diced
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Himalayan Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Desi ghee
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- Heat the desi ghee in a pot. Add onions and saute them.
- As the colour of the onion turns slightly brown add ginger & garlic and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now add rice to the mixture. Add cumin seeds and fry for a few minutes.
- Add Himalayan turmeric powder and mix well to distribute the spice throughout the rice.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the container. Cover and cook over medium-high flame till the rice starts to boil.
- Once the rice starts to boil, turn the flame to low. Leave the pot partially covered and allow a little of the heat to escape.
- Continue cooking until rice is soft and all of the broth has been absorbed. It will take around 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and your turmeric rice is ready to be served. This recipe will add flavour and variety to your dinner. This bright yellow dish is not only appealing to the eyes but is nourishing and tasteful as well. Try it yourself!