Roasted Coconut Chutney Recipe
Have you ever wondered why chutney is an important dish? It’s because it adds a taste that otherwise may be missing from your food. Moreover, it adds variety to your plate. It definitely uplifts any meal from ordinary to an extraordinary level!
There are so many different types of chutneys in India, and each one speaks for itself. The white dry coconut chutney is just too common, isn’t it? So, today let’s make Roasted Coconut Chutney.
Let’s get started!
1 ½ cup freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tbsp urad dal
2 dried red chillies
2 tbsp tamarind
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp salt (or as per taste)
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add chana dal and urad dal. Saute them till their colour changes to light brown.
- Add dried red chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and roast for 3 minutes. Roast it till it starts changing its colour.
- Make sure you do not over roast it and turn them brown.
- Turn off the stove and allow the coconut mix to cool.
- Add the roasted coconut mix, salt, tamarind, and 1 to 1½ cups of water to a grinder.
- Blend them to make a smooth paste and shift to a bowl.
- Place another non-stick pan over medium flame. Pour coconut oil.
- Add chana dal and urad dal, let them turn golden.
- Add the dried red chilli and curry leaves, saute for a minute.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney.
Your roasted coconut chutney is ready to be served! You can serve it along with dosa, idli, appam, rice, or anything you like.
The best time to consume the chutney is within a few hours after making it. Though it can be stored for a day or two if kept in an air-tight container. You can add a fresh hot seasoning to bring back the tempting flavours of the refrigerated chutney whenever you eat it.
Now you know what you are going to cook today for lunch. Get up and try this recipe now!